The Internet has become the most happening place today. It is increasingly being used for communication, commerce, advertising, banking, education, research, and entertainment.
Now a day, commercial activities are increasing on the internet, so it become very important for every online business to protect its identity on the internet as it may be bluffed by anyone. The identity of a business means a specific domain name is used as a business identifier on the internet.
A domain name is an identification label of administrative autonomy, authority, or control on the Internet, based on the Domain Name System (DNS). These domains have now becomes much more than mere representing the websites of different companies on the internet; they have now attained the status of being business identifiers and promoters.
Register your Domain name
Whenever any online business is set up in India, they first register a domain name. This can be done through some popular registrar like Godaddy, & iPage, NameCheap, Name.com, Hostgator, Inmotion etc.
You have to check Domain name with the Trademark in India, for this go to Instant Domain Name search tool and check the available Domain names or to Zauba Corp Trademark user-friendly search and look for your desired brand name availability. Then purchase any of the domains from the registrars which are above mentioned.
After this apply for the Trademark Registration in India for Domain Name on the brand name and secure your brand. Once it gets secured, it is for both online and offline business.
Now the question arises “why one should go for Trademark on its brand name or logo?”
Trademark is generally a sign, refers to a “brand” or “logo”. It distinguishes the goods or services of one enterprise from others. It is protected by intellectual property rights, e.g. KFC, Dominos, Coca Cola, and Flipkart etc. It is essential to obtain trademark registration for any business name/trade name under the Trademarks Act. Registration of a company or business name under the Companies Act does not in itself give protection against those who might commence using identical or similar marks.
Trademarks allow businesses to build an identity and reputation with customers. Hence, it grows or expands their business creating an edge over other by differentiating itself from other.
Benefits of trademark registration
- A businessman can protect its domain if he has the trademark. As trademark protects ones work mark as its brand name and so it’s also protecting the word mark in domain name.
- In case anyone registers another domain same as yours, you can claim your Domain with the Word mark. It means once your trademark is registered then no other person can use that work mark for the Google Adwords without your permission. Hence it helps in securing the identity of the trade name and Domain name too in the market.
- It gives exclusive rights to the owner to carry on the trade. Hence protects brand name, logo etc from being used in a same or similar fashion. After years, it builds goodwill in the market and at the end helps the business to flourish.
- It gives legal right to assign the trademark to others for consideration.
* Shreya Shikha – Chanakya National Law School.